Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Head Painting: Week 10

This week I decided to force myself out of my comfort zone and TRY SOMETHING NEW! My teacher's biggest recurring suggestion for me is to "put more paint on the canvas".  My paintings tend to be pretty thin and flat (which is more comfortable for me).  Also-- oil paint is expensive! But Brother Barrett says to "paint like a rich person"-- don't skimp on the amount of paint you use.  I finally decided to throw hesitation to the wind and pile the paint on (well... it seemed like a lot of paint to me).  I was actually rather pleased with how it turned out too!

I also decided to try direct painting for the first time.  Instead of doing a whole drawing underneath and then painting it in, direct painting means just building everything up as you go.  It was scary not having a drawing to reference, but it turned out alright. :)




Look at that thick paint!


I kept doing the same sort of thing for the second painting for the week, but it didn't turn out quite the way I wanted. But overall this week was a really good learning experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment