Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Figure Drawing: Final Week

Well, Intermediate Figure Drawing has officially ended. We wrapped up the class by continuing with costume/drapery and then we turned in our portfolio (best pieces from various categories from the semester) and our final project.

The project required us to find a nude (or mostly nude) master work figure painting/drawing/ sculpture. I chose a piece by Bouguereau (he has some lovely figure paintings!). We then had to duplicate it (I chose to do it in charcoal) and then do a vellum overlay of the underlying bone structure, and then an overlay of the muscles. It was quite difficult and it stressed me out! (note to future artists: don't put things like this off until the last minute) But it was a very interesting project and I found it to be a very good incorporation of all the anatomy lessons we've had over the course of the semester. It was pretty helpful to think about what is going on underneath the skin. And it helped me find lots of things that were wrong with my drawing proportionally. haha

Well, it's been a great class and I feel like I have improved quite a bit. :) Three cheers for art!












(I realized you can't see the face very well in the full picture so I added this semi-close up)


























Also, while I was supposed to be studying for finals, I colored a sketch I did a while ago of Liesel and Rudy from one of my favorite books of all time: The Book Thief. I highly recommend it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment