Sunday, November 12, 2017

Bakery Logo Design

Over the summer I also was commissioned to do a logo design!  A family friend from back home has a delightful and delicious Swedish bakery called "A Little Taste of Sweden" where she makes traditional Swedish cakes, pastries, etc.  She has primarily been working from her home via word-of-mouth and private events, but she decided to branch out into the Farmer's Market and community event world.  In order to do that, she needed a logo for her business to put on promotional materials, cake box stickers, bags, and banners for her booth. She commissioned me to design her logo and then adapt it for banners in different shapes/sizes.  I had never done professional logo design before, and it was a great experience!

This project was a really good learning experience for me as it was very collaborative (there was a large amount of discussion, brainstorming, and feedback between the owner and myself).  First, we discussed her ideas for what she was looking for in a logo.  She wanted something that was simple, that obviously indicated her business was a bakery, and that incorporated traditional Swedish images/icons.  I then came up with and drew approximately 18 potential design ideas based on those requirements.  It was fun and challenging to try and find a readable, clever, and aesthetic way to incorporate all of those elements together! I was very happy with the idea that ended up in the final design-- having the Swedish flag in a slice of cake. :)


After receiving the owner's feedback, I combined elements from several different designs that she liked best (including lingonberry laurels). I drew the final design in a larger, more detailed format, and then scanned it into the computer. From there I re-drew it in a digital format with Adobe Photoshop, and then played around with different color and font options. I created quite a few versions of these and she decided which one she liked best.

When the final logo was created, I adapted it to a vector image in Adobe Illustrator for printing purposes. Then, at the owner's request, I also adapted the oval logo to fit a rectangular banner format, and created a separate, narrower banner design with just the name of the bakery and the Swedish colors.

The owner of this bakery was wonderful to work with, and I loved being a part of this project.  I was able to see a picture of the finished booth that had both banners and it turned out so well! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment